Conrad 1st, Count of Vintimiglia, built this fortified castle in 970 to defend the Western border of his feudal domain from attack by hordes of Saracens that rampaged around the area, both on land and sea. Initially the entire village was encompassed by the fortress. The keep's military strength was reinforced in the 15th century by the Grimaldi family. In 1808 the castle was sold as a Bien National to five Roquebrune inhabitants. A century later, in 1911, it was sold again – this time to wealthy Englishman Sir William Ingram, who set about renovating it but eventually gave it to the town of Roquebrune in 1921. The fortress overlooks the medieval village and its atmospheric alleyways, sometimes carved out of the rock itself.
Sites not to miss in the village of Roquebrune: the lavoir (traditional washing place), Place des Deux Frères, St Marguerite Church, the replica of a smithy, Rue Montcollet, Place du Capitaine Vincent, the Thousand-year-old Oak and of course the Castle. Magnificent views
The Castle is open:
10 am - 13 pm and 3 pm - 6pm
From 1 October to 31 January: 10 am - 12.30 pm and 2 - 5 pm
From 1 February to 31 May: 10 am - 12.30 pm and 2 - 6 pm
From 1 June to 30 September: 10 am - 1 pm and 2- 7 pm
Closed on 1 May, 1 and 11 November, 25 December and 1 January.
Closed on Fridays between 1 November and 31 January
The audioguide included in the admission price is available in French, English, Italian and German.
Telephone: +33 (0)4 93 35 07 22
The village is accessed by the Grande Corniche (D2564) or by pedestrian footpaths
Associated Walking Tour :
Historical Circuit No. 1 Roquebrune, cradle of the Medieval village